Sunday, January 25, 2009

Flat Stanley Comes to Magdeburg

My name is Flat Stanley. I live in Scottsdale Arizona and am a good friend of Karsten , Sister Gill's grandson. He sent me here in an envelope to visit and learn about Germany. When I arrived it had snowed and there was ice everywhere making it dangerous to walk so I enjoyed the view from the balcony.






We heard the bells from this church many times a day ringing long and loud. I loved it.


A close up view of the rooster sitting on top of the church. Aunt Christi called it a weather vane.







Finally, it was safe go out, and right in the neighborhood were these neat houses. I loved the fun decor and the bright colors.




Oh, here I am with Grandma headed for the Bahn.




This was the Haltestelle (I think that is what they called out at each stop) where they get on the Bahn. We go on the 10.




Here it is. Let's go.


First stop, the Elbe River. It was really cold and there was ice floating down it. Where is my coat and hat?


This is the back of the Dom (the oldest and most famous church in Magdeburg) that I saw from the river and a part of the wall that was built around it.


This church is way bigger than it looks in this picture.


Here is the front. I wanted to go inside but it was closed this day.


As we walked toward the center of the city we saw many policemen. I think they are called Polizei. Grandma and Aunt Christi found out that there was a demonstration going on against the Nazis...whatever that is. We got right on the Bahn and went home.

I had a good visit and have a lot to tell Karsten and his friends at school about Germany. I think I would like to come back in the summer when it is green and warm.

6 comments:

Lisa P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa P. said...

This is really LISA. I'm trying the comment again.

Too cute! What great hosts you two are! It makes me want to hop in an envelope and come visit!

Kelli Proctor said...

Oh that is too cute! Was that for a school project or something? Loved the pictures!

Linde said...

So fun to see/hear how the JAE's are picking up on the gospel!

I loved this Flat Stanley post. So glad he was able to visit all of those places. :)

Anonymous said...

So Cute!

Tina said...

We have tickets to go see Flat Stanley on stage this month. I'm sure he'll be back in time won't he? Very cute!